News Release Date : 06/19/2006
St. Mary’s of Michigan to Expand Downtown Saginaw Campus
A multi-faceted plan is in the works which will result in up to 125 St. Mary’s of Michigan jobs coming to downtown Saginaw. Also included is a 6-million dollar proposal to help revitalize two east side Saginaw neighborhoods
The jobs will be St. Mary’s of Michigan employees who will relocate from their Fortune Blvd. building in Saginaw Township to the top floor of the MCVI building which is located at 1015 S. Washington Avenue. Those employees include fiscal, information technology, and clerical. Also relocating to the MCVI building will be up to 75 employees from the Medical Center’s main campus. An unspecified number of new jobs will also be created when an out-patient cardiac rehabilitation center and blood drawing station are established at MCVI.
In addition, St. Mary’s of Michigan hopes to break ground this fall on an 18 to 22 million dollar in-patient neurological rehabilitation facility. Plans call for the rehabilitation center to be built on the West side of the hospital facing Washington Avenue. A new 13-million dollar emergency room is also in the works and may come to fruition within the next three years.
Lastly, St. Mary’s of Michigan will apply for a 6-million dollar grant this fall which, if approved, will be used to revitalize the Cathedral District neighborhood and the Houghton-Jones neighborhood. Specifically, the money will be utilized to demolish abandoned buildings, help senior citizens with home repairs and to beautify the neighborhoods. “We want the community to know we are here to stay,” says St. Mary’s of Michigan President and CEO Fleury Yelvington. “The Daughters of Charity established this Medical Center 130-years ago; we expect to be here for another 130 years providing jobs and medical care to the community.”