St. Mary's of Michigan - Saginaw St. Mary's of Michigan - Standish St. Joseph Health System - Tawas  
  St. Mary's of Michigan   Believe in Better
Home  |   Contact  |   Careers  |   Associates  |   Physicians
 I Want To...

Printed for you from the St. Mary's of Michigan website on 08/26/16
Treatment Team
  Find A Location
  Find A Doctor

Up and Running
Treatment Team
Injury Facts
Orthopedic Rehab
Sports and Your Body
Physician Staff

click to Google Map™ to this location
800 S. Washington Ave.
Saginaw, MI 48601
(click map for directions)

font:small fontmed fontlarge font |

Who Treats Orthopedic Conditions

Physical TherapyAt St. Mary's of Michigan, orthopedic conditions may be treated by your doctor and/or other medical specialists and health are providers. 

Several doctors from different medical specialties may be involved in the treatment at the same time. This multidisciplinary team approach is particularly important in managing the symptoms of an orthopedic condition, especially as many symptoms are chronic and change in severity over time. 

Primary care doctor- for routine physicals, screening exams, management of chronic illnesses like arthritis, minor surgical procedures, nutrition and weight management counseling as well as coordination with specialty physicians. Many insurances require patients to have their primary care provider refer them to an orthopedic surgeon.

Orthopedic surgeon- specializes in diagnosing a bone, muscle, joint, tendon, or ligament condition or disorder, treating an injury, providing rehabilitation suggestions for an affected area, and establishing prevention protocols to minimize further damage to a diseased area or component of the musculoskeletal system.

Physiatrist- a doctor who specializes in physical medicine and helps restore lost abilities for a person who has been disabled as a result of disease, disorder, or injury. 

Rheumatologist- specializes in the treatment of arthritis and other rheumatic diseases that may affect joints, muscles, bones, skin, and other tissues. 

Neurologist or neurosurgeon- may assist in treating problems involving the spine because of involvement of the spinal cord.

Physical therapist- evaluates and provides treatment for patients with health problems resulting from injury, disease, or overuse of muscles, ligaments, or tendons.

Occupational therapist- uses "occupational" or purposeful activity to help patients with physical, developmental, or emotional disabilities lead independent, productive, and satisfying lives.

Podiatrist- specializes in foot care and is licensed to prescribe medication and perform surgery.

Nurses/nurse practitioners/physician assistants- may assist your doctor in providing care.


800 South Washington Avenue | Saginaw, MI 48601 |
(989) 907-8000 | 1-844-907-8000
` © 2016 AHIS / St. Mary's of Michigan