Designed and implemented by St. Mary’s of Michigan occupational therapists, the Work Hardening Program engages workers in activities in therapy to simulate tasks and activities encountered in the workplace. The goal is to help workers regain the ability to complete work tasks at the levels required by their jobs.
A comprehensive evaluation includes:
- Physical examination
- Posture, dexterity and activity tests
- Cardiovascular testing
- Job and work task simulation
- Tests to determine the reliability of effort given by workers during evaluation
The information gathered from this evaluation helps the therapist, physician, employer, and/or vocational rehabilitation counselor make decisions regarding:
- A rehabilitation plan
- Any medical or therapeutic interventions required
- Time frames for the rehabilitation process
- Estimated costs of rehabilitation
- Return-to-work status
- Ergonomic recommendations to increase function and prevent injury/re-injury on the job
- Return-to-work recommendations
Our occupational therapists also offer comprehensive worksite evaluations to identify job and/or worksite factors that may contribute to worker injuries and modifications that will increase worker safety and productivity.
For more information, call (989) 498-5100.