St. Mary's of Michigan is proud to pioneer new procedures aimed at helping patients survive, thrive, recover faster, and enjoy world-class health care close to home. Among our "firsts" are:
- St. Mary's first open heart surgery took place September 1984, the only open heart surgery program to serve a 14-county region. This meant area residents no longer had to travel to distant hospitals for cardiac surgery. Since then, we have performed over 20,000 heart surgeries and continue to be a regional leader in cardiac care.
- First two-level lumbar spinal fusion procedure in the state. The procedure helps patients who are experiencing disabling leg and back pain from degenerative disc disease, without the lengthier recovery times associated with traditional spinal fusion approaches.
- First artificial lumbar disc surgery.
- First Mobi-C cervical disc prosthesis implantation in the state.
- First X-Stop implant for spinal stenosis in the region.
- First daVinci robotic surgery system north of Flint.
- First CyberKnife north of Detroit and remains just one of two in the state.